Weekly Favourites #5



Well...long time, no write. My last post was over a month ago!!! I honestly cannot believe this. I am so sorry for my absence. Two factors contributed to why I have not posted in so long: 1) I got the flu which was so horrible so I missed a week 2) I had lots of schoolwork to catch up on, as well as, tests and quizzes to study for. I am back now! I have a fun post today which you already knew by the title: Weekly Favourites! Lots of new discoveries and obsessions this month so if you want to learn more, then keep reading! 

#1: TV Shows



Riverdale is honestly my new obsession. It's based on the Archie comics but instead of just being a teen drama it's also a murder-mystery series. It's like Archie meets Scooby-Doo in a way. The series starts off with the tragic death of quarterback Jason Blossom on the Fourth of July and figuring out who in the town killed him. It's so addictive it's insane. Definitely check this one out on The CW or Netflix. 


I have been watching The Fosters every Tuesday since the fourth season started and it has been so dramatic. I've been watching this show since it started back in 2013 and it's honestly one of my favourites. If you don't know what this show is about, essentially it is about the Fosters family which consists of lesbian couple Stef and Lena, a police officer and a school vice principal, who raise a multi-ethnic blended family that consists of one biological son (Brandon) and for adopted children (Mariana, Jesus, Callie, and Jude) in San Diego, California. It's a really great show that touches on many themes such as family, love, and LGBT to name a few. This is a must-watch for the new generation in my opinion.

#2: Movie



I recently watched The Edge of Seventeen and it is so hilarious. If you know me then you know I love coming-of-age movies because they explore everything that comes with being a teenager. I always complain about how there are no good coming-of-age movies in recent times. And now my prayers have finally been answered! This movie is about Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) whose life becomes increasingly unbearable when her best friend, Krista, starts dating her older brother. I know, I know, it sounds cliché but it's really good. I love watching Nadine deal with all the changes going on in her life. Plus, the comedy is great. Highly recommend!

#3: Music



Green Light by Lorde is the perfect dance-like-crazy-in-your-room pop song. Lorde hasn't released music in 3 years so I was so excited when this came out on March 2nd. Her new ablum Melodrama is coming out June 16, 2017--the cover art to which is above (isn't it gorgeous?). Click on the link to listen to the song!


Hero by Maren Morris is one of my new favourite albums. It's like alternative meets country-pop which is such a great and unique blend. I love every song on this album but my absolute favourites are I Could Use a Love Song, How It's Done, I Wish I Was, and Once. 


The Breaker by Little Big Town is another album I've been loving lately. I fell in love with their single Better Man which was written by Taylor Swift. This ablum is just very soothing and very easy to listen to. My favourite tracks are Better Man, Night On Our Side, Lost in California, and When Someone Stops Loving You. 

#4: Book



I just finished reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab and oh my gosh it was fantastic. This book is about Kell, who is one of the last Travelers--magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel universes.

There is Grey London (our London but set in 1818) dirty, boring, and magicless with mad-king George III in power. Red London, where life and magic are revered and also where Kell was raised alongside Rhy Maresh, the rougish heir to a flourishing empire. White London, a place where people fight to control magic and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. And Black London, which no longer exists and is not spoken of. 

Offically, Kell is a Red traveler, ambassador of the Maresh empire, carrying the monthly correspondences between the royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. 

Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. 

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.

My Review:


A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Loved the world building, magic system, and the incredible cast of characters!! I also really enjoyed the friendship developing between Kell and Lila. Though, Rhy wasn't a main character in this book I hope to see more of him in the sequel because he is just all kinds of charming and witty. Can't wait to see where this trilogy goes because this first book was very promising.

View all my reviews



I hope you enjoyed my post today! Let me know if you checked out any of the things I mentioned above. I hope you have a great week! 

love xena 

2 comments:

  1. Hey ma' babes, happy March Break and welcome back! I haven't watched the Fosters in two years I think; must take a peek to see where they are at now as they are such a spirited and dynamic group. Maren Morris sounds very Nashville-y with its similar music genre-- my favs are 'Sugar' and 'Just Another Thing'... breezy, summer road trip feels. I'm enjoying my own darker shade of magic (haha) later morning read with 'The Girl Before' by JP Delaney-- spooks... adding a little spring drama to my otherwise serene life. Thanks for the shares my love and see you layta' for lunch. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy March Break to you too girl. I'm glad you like my music choices ;) AND OMG!!! The Girl Before!!! I heard about that book and it sounds amazing. Tell me how you like it as I really want to read it myself. Love ya chica xx

      Delete

Xena Roberts. Powered by Blogger.